Yesterday we headed towards Eucla . This is the first stop in the trek across the Nullabor.
We stopped off at Nundroo Roadhouse to get petrol, use the loos and we were able to get a cappuccino as well. I must admit when I asked for 'decaf' the guy behind the counter did roll his eyes ever so slightly! He was a Scottish guy, and had a joke with me about the person who had been in earlier and asked for a 'skinny, soy, decaf, latte' and how he had to pick himself up off the floor from laughing. I didn't tell him that was Kimberley's drink of choice!!
A photo opportunity under the Nullabor Plain sign with Kevin frantically searching for a camel to take a photo but no luck so far. We had a car throw up rocks from his trailer that got into the gravel and chipped our windscreen - I won't mention what Kevin said!
We stopped on the Great Australian Bight viewing point and armed with camera set out to photograph the whales. Apparently they knew we were coming and stayed away. Still it was a good opportunity to have a lunch break and get rid of all our fruit and veggie items into the bin, because Border Village was coming up and we would lose all those things there. Quarantine is pretty strict going into WA.
Well the quarantine stop proved to be an experience! What a cow she was! No wonder they have the reputation they have. The woman was a sour-faced, rude cow, and that's being polite! After she went through our van, car and storage boots, grunted at us a few times, and made various sarcastic comments, we were on our way.
We kept moving and continued on from Eucla as we were making good time and thought we'd make tomorrow easier if we kept going. Past through another town and decided to head to Madura. There wasn't much wildlife about, so when we met the emu on the road, we got quite excited and I had to take a photo or two. So far to that took our tally of wildlife to one emu, several hundred birds of varying species, two lizards, and one inch-man!!!
We pulled into the Madura Roadhouse. It was pretty average and really just a place to camp with power. $25 was pretty steep for the privilege, but it was this or camp on the side of the road, and I wasn't feeling that brave just yet! Kevin is pretty keen to experience it, but I'm not so sure. Maybe he can do that while I find a nice 5-star accommodation somewhere. It was an early night with no phone, no TV.
Today we headed for Norseman. We woke to a very wet day today with the rain belting down on the roof of the van. I decided to make a break for the showers between the rain. I figured we'd paid such a high rate for the site i was going to get my money's worth even though it was a token in the slot to have a shower. Still I'd paid for it, so ever the Scrooge, I decided to use it! I must say I was a little concerned when I came out of the shower to see an old guy having a shave in the LADIES shower block!!
Fuel was expensive but we didn't have a choice we had to get it, unfortunately it seems out here you are a captive audience and they can charge what they like and not be particularly pleasant when they take your money either. Customer service is alive and kicking at Madura (not)!!
Stopped at Caiguna to fill up before we head out across the longest, straightest piece of road in Australia. The only coffee available was out of a machine and the only personality we got was also pretty ordinary. I don't know what it is about Australian outback roadhouses and customer service, but obviously they seem to leave their personalities in the city. In two days, we've had little more than a grunt from the people that have either served or searched us! Great for tourism in fact the nicest, funniest guy was the Scottish guy who served us yesterday at Nundroo - and I suspect he is a backpacker visiting Australia.
So much straight road. So much nothing. Eating Bullseye lollies to break up the nothing.
OMG 30Ks out from Balladonia and we have two corners!! Kevin now tells me we have done 3,305Ks since we left home 11 days ago. These stats are killing me, especially when he tells me that by the time we get to Darwin we will have done many more than that!!
We stopped at Balladonia. At last some smiling faces behind the counter, it made us feel heaps better. Even got a hot chocolate which was yummy. A museum at the roadhouse was good reading and gave us a bit of history on the place - of course Kevin studied it much deeper than me.
We discovered that the van had been taking in water, all Kev's pillows were wet. After a temporary fix with a towel and re-locating the mattress and pillows, we hoped this would stop any further soaking till we could fix it at Norseman, which was our next stop.
We passed a truck which had gone bush and was very very lucky to still be on it's wheels. Fair bit of damage to the front of it, but I'm guessing it could have been way worse!! We're guessing he fell asleep at the wheel. After another long day, we booked into Norseman Caravan Park. Not quite civilized but certainly one step up from last night. After checking out the amenities, i have decided that i will be showering in the van in the morning.
I would be very keen to know what Kev said when the windscreen chipped...was it similar to what he said when the water gushed out of the tank; when he was laying the tiles in the toilet and when he was writing his assignments?? I'm guessing that's a yes. Love and miss you guys heaps xxxx
ReplyDeleteIn the spirit of confidentiality I can't possible tell you what was said. What is spoken in the car, stays in the car!!
ReplyDelete