First it was goodbye to Adelaide. Headed off early to get a good run through to Port Augusta. With the iPad and GPS for support and road signage for back-up I was feeling pretty confident that we could negotiate our way out of Adelaide without too many issues. Well the iPad sent us one way, the GPS was insisting that we went another and then the road work detour (got to love it) sent us in another direction. With all the odds against us, we still managed to escape Adelaide with the caravan still attached and no arguments!!
The wind and weather was an issue but Kev did a great job of holding us on the road.
Missed our coffee stop - the town was so small we went past the only coffee shop and then couldn't turn us around to get back. We had to make do with no coffee and an emergency supply cookie that Ben and Steph at the Waterfront Cafe had packed me (we are already into our week 2 cookie supply)
Diverted through Snow Town. We were a bit concerned that we may have ended up in a barrel in the back of the bank. Visited some pretty dodgy dunnies and then headed off again.
Stopped at Point Pirie for a photo opportunity and lunch. Blew the milk out of my cappuccino but it was the best warm chicken salad ever. Kevin tried to take a flattering shot of me in front of the jetty, but the wind blowing my hair at right angles to my head made sure the shot was definitely not super model material!!
Just played eye spy and kev had trouble guessing it - I don't understand why. My letter was 'N' and the clue was, 'it is everywhere'. I don't understand why he couldn't guess because the answer was 'NOTHING'! Plenty of that on this road. See the occasional train, lots of little bushes, a pipeline, trucks, caravans and that's it!
We Camped at Port Augusta and were entertained by music from the van next door. Guitar and old time ballads, I hate to admit it, but the old lady was pretty good
So we've now made our way down the Eyre Peninsula finishing with two great days at Port Lincoln.. Well worth the visit and would have been even better if I wasn't wearing a polar fleece and scarf! We've both come to the conclusion that SA has the best coffee so far, a conclusion that has been reached over much taste testing at coffee shops along the way. I can't make a judgement on the accompanying scones, but Kevin seems to think they are pretty good!
Met some great people camped alongside us at Port Lincoln who we'll email along the way. The caravan park was right on the water with a resident family of pelicans who were happy to have their photos taken- I'm sure one of them turned around so I could get his best side!
So it's off to Ceduna which is our last stop before we head out across the Nullabor and leave civilization behind us. No phone, no 3G, no iPad, how will I cope. So for the next blog it will be see you on the other side!!
No comments:
Post a Comment