Wednesday, 15 June 2011

BumbleF country

So I have now officially discovered my new favorite food. Chocolate-coated frozen bananas are right up there on my list! In fact they are so nice, we still have one in the teeny freezer of our fridge, and although it is legally Kevin's, I feel it may become mine!

So Carnarvon is behind us and we are now moving further north, with Karratha the next big stop along the way.

We had a few hairy moments on the road to Karratha. A mis-calculation of fuel meant we needed to top up on the road out of our spare 20 litres, just to get us to the next roadhouse. However, a small disaster when we arrived at the roadhouse to an 'out of diesel sorry for the inconvenience' sign on the bowser started a brief moment of panic!  'Sorry for the inconvenience' didn't quite cover it really!  Kevin was able to sort it out, and after filling up from the high-flow truckies bowser, we headed off again. Just get me to civilisation!!

Karratha proved to be a large town, with a shopping centre, lots of well maintained houses, and a large amount of 'fly in fly out' residents. There appeared to be way more males around than females, as I'm guessing it's not easy to get your partner to live out here, and many would do their shifts and fly back out again.  So for any single girls out there who don't mind 'roughing it' I can recommend Karratha! Apparently the airport is one of the busiest in Australia because of the mining personnel who move around, so there is an escape clause if you need it!

Because of the long distances we drove to get here, we decided to spend time around Karratha. We even managed a sort of sleep in and then headed out to find the Nissan dealer to get some assistance with an oil leak that Kevin had noticed. We drove up and down the street it was in, until after a phone call, we found it at the beginning of the street!! Turns out the leak was OK and so after chatting with the guy there (well Kevin was chatting and I was waiting in the car) we headed to Karratha Centro Shopping Centre to do some re-stocking and for me to get just a few hours pretending I was near some sort of civilisation.

We took a late drive out to Roebourne and then around Wickham. I could not possibly live out here. The shuttered buildings, grating over the house windows, wrecked buildings are just so depressing, there is obviously some sort of social problem happening out here! Makes me pretty happy to live where I live.

Tomorrow we head further north.

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate coated bananas - the innuendo is endless
    Hope you had one one your birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bananas were eaten before the big day!!!

    ReplyDelete