Today we headed to Kalbarri. We got an early start and were booked out at 8AM. A quick check of the iPad and we plotted our direction, then headed up the North West Coastal Highway towards Northampton. Beautiful sunny day, but at this hour of the morning, still a bit chilly around the ears! Steve and Beth were still coming, but we headed off first as we have the big van so we go slower, plus Steven was on the phone to Qantas, which was proving to be a marathon effort.
We arrived at Kalbarri around 11:30 and positioned ourselves on our sites. Kevin had assistance from some of our friendly neighbors who were quite impressed that he managed to back the van into such a tricky spot, actually I was fairly impressed too.
All set up, and a quick study of the maps of the area, and we headed off to find the inland gorge. We were entertained on the way with some fairly dodgy bush poetry from Steven, who still has not recovered from being fleeced of $10 by our friendly bush poet at Geraldton. I did suggest that Steven shouldn't bother trying to market his poetry, as I'm sure I remember some of those ditties from the schoolyard.
The gorges proved to be absolutely sensational. I've never seen scenery quite like it. We walked to lookouts, took heaps of snaps, and simply sat and soaked in the views. It was a brilliant afternoon. Then after taking in the inland gorges, we headed back to Kilbarri township and were amazed by more sights from the coastal gorges too.
Dinner was at the Black Rock Cafe, next door to the caravan park. A great end to a fantastic day. Tomorrow we head to the town of Denim, and the Dolphins of Monkey Mia.
Sounds like you are in a great place - have a Chardy for me!!
ReplyDelete