Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Onwards to Katherine .. We hit the Northern Territory

It was time to hit the road again, as we were leaving Kununurra behind and heading towards the Northern Territory border.  After a robust discussion and slight confusion (on Kevins part) over which way the clocks should be turned, we agreed that the clock should go forward and we would lose an hour and a half as we slowly made our way back to the east coast of Australia, (and slowly left BumbleF**k behind us -maybe)!

The distance to Katherine was too far to make before the caravan park reception closed, (as we lost an hour and a half), so we decided to stop at the Victoria River Roadhouse for the night. We'd heard it was a pretty place and worth the stop. Well it was a pretty place, but I probably would have just stopped for a 'look' rather than a 'night' if I had known what the Caravan Park was like.

Victoria River scenery was pretty spectacular with huge gorges, a very inviting river -except of course for the crocodiles that live in it - and the contrast of the Northern Territory colours. I was tempted to take a helicopter ride over the National Park, and the helicopter pilot was cute enough to nearly make me forget that I don't like flying in anything under a 100 seats, but commonsense prevailed, and I gave the flight a miss! We found out later it was only $50 so we were kicking ourselves we didn't go!

We filled the afternoon in chatting to travellers at the Roadhouse, and also took a short walk to the river for a photo, but the 33 degree heat was a bit much for me, so I headed back to the van. Several glasses of water, an icecream and two panadol later and I was feeling heaps better.  

So after our overnight stop we headed off to Katherine.  I'd like to say we left Victoria River Roadhouse bright and early as scheduled, however, Kevin does love to talk -and that's all I'll say on the matter! So a little later than planned we hit the road and headed for Katherine. One night with no 3G coverage in fairly basic camping situation was enough for me. The showers were a breeding ground for who knows what, and with no water pressure to have a shower in the van, I was hanging out for a decent shower in Katherine!

We arrived at the park, which was a pleasant surprise after the very ordinary arrangement at Victoria River.  We even managed to find a decent place in Katherine to get coffee -so now I'm feeling more human again!!

Our first night at the caravan park and we were surprised to hear music from the bistro area, so we made our way over for a look and once closer we were treated to some lovely 'yeehaa' music. So with red wine in hand, I settled in for the next half an hour and listened to the dulcet tones of some very very old music!! Kevin wouldn't dance with me though which was more than a little disappointing.

Our second day in Katherine and we discovered the Thermal Pools. We spent an hour floating about and generally relaxing in the water that is a constant 32 degrees. Of course there were other tourists there doing the same thing, and so of course our stay there was lengthened because Kevin struck up conversation. Still it was a pleasant way to pass the afternoon, and I really didn't mind listening to an old lady's life story while Kevin chatted happily to her husband!!

Our last day in Katherine we started the day around 7, with me heading to the showers and Kevin heading off for a walk to deal with his muffin top!  We planned to head off early to go to Edith Falls, however our neighbor came across for a chat, and the rest is history!!  An hour later, we headed off.  Kevins good work was undone with the coffee and biscuits we had in Katherine before we left for the falls.

The day at the falls was pretty good. It was very very hot, and I completely squibbed out on the 2.6 kilometer walk to the top falls, so Kevin had to be content with the bottom falls. The water was pretty inviting, but the temperature, and the fact that there were reptile eyes watching us, ensured I didn't go for a swim!  Kevin braved it though and had a wonderful time.  I was happy to be the resident photographer.

Tomorrow we head off for Jabiru in Kakadu National Park, and I doubt there will be much swimming, as the salt water crocodiles live there, and they don't love sharing their water!!  I'll blog more about our Kakadu adventures next time .......

2 comments:

  1. Poor Kevin ... I don't think so, he's having a lovely time .. Talking and talking and talking!!

    ReplyDelete